Kisha Patel is a family law attorney in our Raleigh office. She represents clients in all areas of family law including child custody, child support, alimony, domestic violence, equitable distribution, divorce, mediation, separation agreements, and adoptions.
Hear from Kisha in her own words, why she became a family law attorney:
Growing up I was the loud, studious, and outspoken child in the classroom. Because I always loved being in charge, everyone said that I would grow up to become a lawyer. At some point, I decided that maybe they were right, and I set off on that path.
I went to Ursinus College in the small town of Collegeville, PA, where I received my B.A. in Politics and Gender & Women’s Studies. After graduating from college, I moved to Chapel Hill to attend law school. During my time I Chapel Hill, I fell in love with North Carolina. I knew from then on I would be a Carolina girl. At Carolina Law, I learned the tools to become a successful attorney through internships and experiential learning. I trained my advocacy skills as a member of both the Holderness Moot Court team and the Broun National Trial Team. By volunteering, I found that I have a passion for family law and helping families.
I want to be a voice for you when you need someone in your corner. I remember my parents going through a divorce when I was a young child. During that time, it felt like everyone was making decisions for me and my whole world was changing faster than I could keep up. As the years went on, I was able to provide some input on where I wanted to be and who I wanted to live with. My dad’s attorney took the time to listen to me and fight to get me what I wanted and let me have autonomy over my life.
All these years later, I am now the attorney that can give a voice to you and your child. I can help fight for what is best for your family. I will take the time to make sure I truly understand your wants and needs. I have seen firsthand the emotional and physical stress that fighting for divorce or custody can take on you. I will take your legal issues, concerns, and worries and put them on my shoulders to help ease the burden on you.
Outside of work, you can find me testing and creating new vegetarian recipes, volunteering at the organizations close to my heart, and cheering on the Tar Heels!
- Client Choice Award, Avvo 2021
MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS
- North Carolina State Bar
- Licensed to practice before all North Carolina State Courts
- Wake County Bar Association
J.D., The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Kilpatrick Townsend 1L Mock Trial Competition Outstanding Advocate
- San Diego 2018 Defense Lawyers National Mock Trial Competition
- Broun National Trial Team, Secretary (2018-2019), President (2019-2020)
- Holderness Moot Court Civil Rights Appellate Advocacy Team
- Conference on Race, Gender, Class, and Equality, Panel Coordinator
- Eugene Gressman & Daniel H. Pollitt Oral Advocacy Award
- UNC Graduate and Professional Honor System, Honor Court Chair (2018-2019)
BA Politics and Gender & Women’s Studies, Ursinus College
- Dean’s List
- Honor’s Thesis: “My Body, Not My Say: How Roe v. Wade Endangers Women’s Autonomy” (discussing the
Constitutional limitations of Roe v. Wade and the privacy doctrine and its effect on the regulation of reproductive
freedom in the law)
- Student Conduct Judiciary Board
- Pre-Legal Society, President
- Mock Trial, Captain